woensdag 28 augustus 2013

to the Woods...









How I Go to the Woods  




        Ordinarily I go to the woods alone, with not a single

        friend, for they are all smilers and talkers and 
        therefore 
        unsuitable.


        I don’t really want to be witnessed talking to the 

        catbirds 
        or hugging the old black oak tree. I have my way of
        praying, as you no doubt have yours.


        Besides, when I am alone I can become invisible. I

        can sit
        on the top of a dune as motionless as an uprise of
        weeds,
        until the foxes run by unconcerned. I can hear the
        almost
        unhearable sound of the roses singing.




        If you have ever gone to the woods with me, I must

        love
        you very much.





Mary Oliver (Swan)